10172019What's Hot:

U.S. Embassy in Montenegro Is Attacked, but Only Attacker Is Killed

Photo

The police guarded the entrance to the United States Embassy in Podgorica, Montenegro, early Thursday. An explosive device had been thrown onto the grounds. Credit Stevo Vasiljevic/Reuters

WASHINGTON — A man threw an explosive device onto the grounds of the United States Embassy in Montenegro late Wednesday night, but succeeded only in killing himself, the State Department said.

Around midnight local time, witnesses saw the man, who was not identified, throw an object over the wall of the embassy property in Podgorica, the capital, according to Steve Goldstein, the State Department’s under secretary for public diplomacy and public affairs. The blast killed the man but did not injure anyone in the embassy, which was closed for the night.

Diplomatic security officials swept the grounds and found no other explosives, Mr. Goldstein said, and the building was not damaged. The embassy has asked local employees to stay home on Thursday as a security precaution.

Mr. Goldstein said the State Department did not know what the motive for the assault was or whether it was meant to be a suicide attack.

Montenegro, one of the world’s youngest nations, is a tiny country of 640,000 nestled between Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo and Albania. It was once part of Yugoslavia; later, it became half of the nation of Serbia and Montenegro before declaring independence in 2006.

Source: NYT > World

comments powered by HyperComments

More on the topic