07222019What's Hot:

Turkey Detains Editor, Staff at Opposition Newspaper

Turkey Detains Editor, Staff at Opposition Newspaper

Authorities raid Cumhuriyet’s offices over allegedly promoting terrorism as crackdown continues

ISTANBUL—Turkish authorities raided the nation’s flagship opposition newspaper and detained at least 13 of its staff, including its editor in chief, for allegedly promoting terrorism, in the latest of what democracy advocates fear is a crackdown on free speech.

The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office said it ordered the predawn arrests and raids on several journalists’ homes over concerns the suspects have promoted two groups Turkey considers terror organizations: the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK; and the network of supporters following the religious teachings of U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who the government accuses of masterminding the failed summer coup.

Turkish police raided the country's main opposition newspaper Cumhuriyet on Monday, detaining its current editor-in-chief and more than a dozen journalists. Former editor-in-chief Can Dundar today lives in exile — The Wall Street Journal interviewed him in Germany. Photo: Getty Images

“Even though [they are] not members of the FETO and PKK terrorist organizations, [they are] committing crimes for the organization’s sake,” the Istanbul prosecutor’s office said on Monday, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency reported. Turkey’s government refers to the alleged Gulen network as FETO.

Cumhuriyet, Turkey’s oldest national newspaper, is known for its hard-hitting journalism and exposés, and among Turkey’s highly-partisan press the outlet prizes itself for its independence. The paper has won several international awards for its journalism. It doesn’t have a corporate owner and is run as a nonprofit foundation.

Orhan Erinc, president of Cumhuriyet Foundation, condemned the detentions and said the goal of the newspaper is to promote journalism in the public interest.

“[Turkish] media are either directly or indirectly under the control of the government. Few media outlets remain—such as Cumhuriyet—that are not under the control of the government. These few independent newspapers are still trying to defend their professional ethic, but they fear serious consequences,” Mr. Erinc said.

Since the failed July 15 coup, Turkey has become one of the world’s largest jailers of journalists. More than 100 journalists have been detained or arrested and at least 120 media outlets have been shut down in that period, according to international rights organizations. Some 2,500 journalists have lost their jobs since the coup, according to Istanbul-based advocacy group Platform for Independent Journalism.

Meanwhile, over the weekend, Turkey published a new set of decrees under the continuing state of emergency that further limits the legal rights of detainees by allowing security forces to be present at and to record conversations between lawyers and prisoners. The state of emergency also permits detainees to remain in jail for 40 days without judicial review.

Editor in chief Murat Sabuncu was among those detained on Monday. The homes of the paper’s executive board chairman were among those searched.

Mr. Sabuncu took over the paper this year after the previous editor in chief, Can Dundar, was convicted on charges that he illegally published state secrets in relation to a story about Turkey’s intelligence agency transferring weapons to Islamic radicals fighting in Syria.

Mr. Dundar, who had been free on bail during his appeal, left Turkey this summer in part because he said he had lost faith in the justice system to give him a fair hearing. His house was also raided and authorities issued a new detention order for him in relation to the new case.

Istanbul prosecutors said authorities have been pursuing an investigation against the newspaper since August. Prosecutors have said they believe there were unspecified irregularities in elections for the Cumhuriyet Foundation board on April 2, 2013. They also believe the paper, before the failed coup on July 15, published articles that would legitimize a coup attempt.

The head of Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party condemned the action.

“We must stand up for democracy and freedoms; the prerequisite for doing so goes through protecting Cumhuriyet,” Kemal Kilicdaroglu said after visiting the newspaper’s Ankara bureau.

The co-head of the pro-Kurdish opposition party also voiced solidarity with the paper.

Members of Cumhuriyet staff in Ankara gathered to protest the detentions. One of their biggest concerns now is that the state would use the investigation as an excuse to remove its board, appoint new trustees and effectively shut down their work.

Source 1

Turkey Rejects Europe’s ‘Red Line’ On Press Freedom After Detentions

Police detained journalists who were accused of helping precipitate the failed coup.

Turkey’s prime minister said he had no regard for Europe’s “red line” on press freedom on Tuesday and warned Ankara would not be brought to heel with threats, rejecting criticism of the detention of senior journalists at an opposition newspaper.

Police detained the editor and top staff of Cumhuriyet, a pillar of the country’s secularist establishment, on Monday, on accusations that the newspaper’s coverage had helped precipitate a failed military coup in July.

The United States and European Union both voiced concern about the move in Turkey, a NATO ally which aspires to EU membership. European Parliament President Martin Schulz wrote on Twitter that the detentions marked the crossing of ‘yet another red-line’ against freedom of expression in the country.

“Brother, we don’t care about your red line. It’s the people who draw the red line. What importance does your line have,” Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told members of his ruling AK Party in a speech in parliament.

“Turkey is not a country to be brought in line with salvoes and threats. Turkey gets its power from the people and would be held accountable by the people.”

Prosecutors accuse staff at Cumhuriyet, one of few media outlets still critical of President Tayyip Erdogan, of committing crimes on behalf of Kurdish militants and the network of Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based cleric blamed for orchestrating the July coup attempt.

Journalists at the paper were suspected of seeking to precipitate the coup through “subliminal messages” in their columns before it happened, the state-run Anadolu agency said.

Cumhuriyet vowed “we will not surrender” in a front-page headline. Dozens of people staged a vigil in front of its Istanbul offices overnight, some wrapped in blankets as they slept on benches while police guarded barriers outside.

“Even if Cumhuriyet’s executives and writers are detained, our newspaper will continue its fight for democracy and freedom to the end,” it said in a defiant editorial which described the arrests as the start of an attempt to close the paper.

It said its pages had repeatedly warned that Gulen’s movement represented a danger to the Republic and wanted to abolish secularism. The paper said it had in the past been targeted by prosecutors and judges aligned with Gulen.

ENEMIES OF THE STATE

Turkey’s authorities have bristled at the Western reaction to the abortive coup, in which rogue soldiers used fighter jets and tanks to attack parliament and other key buildings, killing more than 240 people, many of them civilians.

They see European leaders as quick to condemn widescale purges of suspected plotters, but reluctant to accept the gravity of the putsch and the threat to the state.

“We have no problem with press freedom. This is what we can’t agree with our European friends. They always bring up press freedom when we take steps in our fight against terrorism,” Yildirim said.

He said Turkey could draft a “limited measure” to bring back the death penalty if a political compromise could be reached on the issue, a move that could spell an end to its efforts to join the European Union.

Crowds have repeatedly called for the re-introduction of capital punishment, which Turkey abolished in 2002 as part of the EU accession process, and Erdogan has said he would approve it if parliament voted for it.

Turkey has classified Gulen’s network of followers as the “Gulenist Terror Organisation” (FETO), ranking it as an enemy of the state alongside the Kurdish PKK militant group, which has waged a three-decade armed insurgency, and Islamic State.

Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States since 1999, denies involvement in the coup attempt.

More than 110,000 of Gulen’s suspected followers have been sacked or suspended and 37,000 jailed pending trial since the coup attempt. Rights groups say the scale of the purges show Erdogan is using the coup attempt to crush all dissent.

NO ACCESS TO LAWYERS

The latest detainee on Monday evening was veteran Turkish journalist Kadri Gursel, who began writing for Cumhuriyet in May, bringing the number of those held to 13, the paper said. Three more staff targeted by the investigation are abroad.

It said the detainees, some of whose computers and phones were confiscated, were not being allowed to speak to lawyers for five days under emergency rule imposed after the putsch.

The staunchly secularist paper was established in 1924 by a confidant of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk just six months after he established the Turkish Republic.

Political violence has dogged its history. Seven of its writers have been assassinated since 1978 and some were among those jailed after coups in 1971 and 1980.

Cumhuriyet’s previous editor, Can Dundar, was jailed last year, convicted of publishing state secrets involving Turkey’s support for Syrian rebels. The case sparked censure from rights groups and Western governments worried about worsening human rights in Turkey under Erdogan.

Since the attempted coup, 170 newspapers, magazines, television stations and news agencies have been shut down, leaving 2,500 journalists unemployed, Turkey’s journalists’ association said in a statement on Monday.

“We are not going to learn from you what press freedom is. We support it all the way,” Yildirim said of European criticism.

“But we won’t see criminals, their accomplices, and supporters of the separatist (PKK) and FETO terrorist organizations as innocent. Let the judiciary do its job. If there is nothing on them, then it will come out.”

Source 2

Another good article is here.
Or here.

Interview with the former 'Cumhuriyet' editor Dundar here.

Source: ONTD_Political

comments powered by HyperComments

More on the topic