11202017What's Hot:

Roadside Bomb Hits American Convoy in Afghanistan

Photo

An American military patrol in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan, in April. Credit Noorullah Shirzada/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

JALALABAD, Afghanistan — Three civilians were killed after a roadside bomb hit a convoy of American soldiers early Monday in Nangarhar Province, in eastern Afghanistan, according to Afghan officials in the area.

The United States military said that none of its personnel had been wounded. It added that though there was an exchange of gunfire after the bombing, it had received no official reports of civilian casualties.

“We take civilian casualties very seriously, and all allegations are thoroughly investigated,” the military said in a news release.

The three civilians were killed when soldiers opened fire after the explosion, said Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar.

All six of the American soldiers who have been killed in Afghanistan in 2017 died in Nangarhar Province, the most recent three on Saturday in an apparent insider attack. All were Special Operations forces fighting the Islamic State, which has a stronghold in the province.

But the Taliban claimed responsibility for the latest attack, through a spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid. The attack took place in Ghanikhel District, which borders on the Islamic State stronghold of Achin District.

Source: NYT > World

comments powered by HyperComments

More on the topic