10162019What's Hot:

Khashoggi Double Sent to Create False Trail in Turkey, Surveillance Images Suggest

Britain, France and Germany said in a joint statement on Sunday that they would ultimately make their judgments about what happened based on the “credibility of the further explanation we receive,” and made clear that they wanted assurances that such “a shameful event” would not happen again. Saudi Arabia needs to do more to determine the truth and hold those responsible accountable, the countries said.

Germany has suspended arms sales to the kingdom, but it is not a major source of Saudi arms. The United States and Britain rank first and second, with France a distant third, according to the Stockholm Institute on International Peace, which tracks arms sales.

Also weighing in was the European Union’s foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, who described the information that has become public so far as a “shocking violation” of international conventions that outline norms of consular behavior.

On Sunday, the Saudi foreign minister, Adel al-Jubeir, gave the first public, high-level acknowledgment that there had been a cover-up, but he and other officials continue to say that the death was an accident, and that it was not ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed, the kingdom’s day-to-day ruler. Western intelligence officials have said that he most likely ordered the operation, and that several members of the team that flew to Istanbul have ties to the crown prince, who is often referred to by his initials, MBS.

Martin Dempsey, a former chairman of the United States’ Joint Chiefs of Staff who has lived in Saudi Arabia, wrote Monday on Twitter, “absolutely no way that MBS was unaware of Khashoggi murder.”

On Monday, the Turkish public broadcasting channel TRT reported that a car found abandoned in a parking lot in Istanbul matched the description and license plates of a vehicle that belonged to the Saudi Consulate and was seen outside the building on the day Mr. Khashoggi disappeared.

Mr. Khashoggi’s fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, has been placed under police protection, a Turkish official said on Monday. The official said the measure had been taken not because of any specific threat, but because Ms. Cengiz, who was to marry Mr. Khashoggi the day after he went to the Saudi Consulate, had been the target of online abuse.

Source: NYT > World

comments powered by HyperComments

More on the topic